Safe environmental care and cleaning tips: It's easy to go green and chemical free by using many basic household products you probably already have in your cupboard or pantry!
Safe and natural cleaning products can be made from hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, baking soda, washing soda (carbonate of soda), olive oil and borax.
- Cleaning Solutions for natural cotton and wool fabrics - mix water and white wine vinegar in a 1:3 ratio and mist onto fabric. Let air dry. If odor or stains persist, try misting again, repeat as needed.
- Laundry - try adding a half cup of lemon juice during the rinse cycle and make sure that juice is strained and free from seeds, pulp, etc. Also try adding a half cup of white wine vinegar to your last rinse cycle in the dishwasher to help cut soap scum buildup or in your rinse water if hand washing dishes. Also helps to dissolve hard water deposits.
- Windows can be made brighter by 1 or 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar or lemon juice mixed in water. Spray on and use a few sheets from your newspapers to dry.
- Furniture polish can be made from mixing olive oil and white wine vinegar in a 1:1 ratio, then polishing with a soft clean cloth.
- Clean your toilet with a cup of borax and add a half cup of vinegar to increase scrubbing power. Let set awhile for best results. To clean your tub try using a paste of baking soda and lemon juice.
What Is Borax?
Borax, or sodium borate is an alkaline mineral that occurs naturally. It was discovered over 4000 years ago in the Western United States and is also found in the Tibet area of China. A common, well known brand is 20 Mule Team Borax and can usually be found in the cleaning aisle of your grocery store. Borax has no toxic fumes and is safe for the environment but should be used with gloves because it can irritate skin, eyes and cause respiratory irritation so use in small limited amounts.
Borax is also used to kill roaches and silver fish, should never be ingested or used around food, children or pets. Always clean off surfaces and wash clothing after use. Follow directions on box for best results. Back to top